Tuesday, November 27, 2007

SHOPPING: Costco

WHAT: The largest "membership warehouse club" chain in the world based on sales volume, Costco offers low-priced, bulk packaged goods aimed at larger families, businesses, and filmmakers...

WHY: According to my brother, Costco doesn't carry crap. I'd confirm this if I had a Costco card, but that's probably a few months away. I do remember that in the past, though, yes, in fact, most of the products I've ever eaten or bought with somebody else's card were actually good.

Now, while I'm not a big fan of building large corporate chains that may treat their employees poorly or that drive away family owned businesses, Costco seems to have built a solid, reputable business: in 2006, they were ranked number one by the American Customer Satisfaction Index. Besides some electronic items, customers can return any item - or their membership - for a full refund. This place is crazy: they sell more wine than anyone else in the United States, are the third largest pizza chain, offer travel services and insurance, and will even change your oil. Oh, yeah: they even have an optometrist!

www.costco.com

/sms

No comments: